Friday, February 6, 2009

Rockin' Asia


Okay... I had more pictures to go with this post... but they won't load.  Instead, I put them in the slide show at the bottom.  Cool?  Cool.

Thailand is amazing!! 

Things we’ve done:

 *We went to a way cool mansion.  It’s where one of the previous kings lived (late 1800s), and it’s amazing to see how they did everything back in those days.  There was also a rad museum there, too.

 *Whit had her first chance to feed an elephant.  This elephant is someone’s pet and they were taking him for a walk.  We caught up with them so we could feed him some sugar cane.

 *There is a way cool park in downtown Bangkok called Lumphini Park.  That spelling is not guaranteed.  The coolest lizard things live there!  They are like 3 to 4 feet long and are a little bit intimidating.  They don’t seem to care about all the people around too much, though.  There is a lake in the center of the park, and they have those funny little paddleboats for rent.  We wanted to rent one, but you could only put two people in them. 

Whit talked them into letting the three of us rent a rowboat, instead.  :)  No… none of us knew how to row, but we sure learned quickly.  Actually… Brian and I learned quickly.  Whit struggled a little!  She finally decided that it was easier for her to row if she rowed backwards.  Ha!  We loved it.  While we were out on the lake, four teenage boys came and rented a couple of paddleboats and paddled around for a little while.  I thought it was a kind of odd but cute choice for young teenage boys to spend their time there.  Yeah… that’s what I THOUGHT until they started trading and smoking weed in the middle of the lake.  Ah.  All clear now.

 

*We got foot/leg massages.  They cost $4 for an hour.  Right on.

 

*Okay, so a lot of times if you buy a soda from a gas station or from a cart on the street, they’ll take the glass bottle, and pour it into a plastic BAG with ice for you to drink.  Noi says they do that so that they can get the recycle money for the bottles.  I love getting bags of soda!!



 

*Last week we went to Laos.  It’s such an amazing country.  Let me just tell you that the church members in Laos are some of the most amazing people I have ever met.  And I really mean that, too.  They are so amazingly sweet, and they are so amazingly excited when anyone comes to visit.  When we got there, it was night and they had a whole feast set up for us.

 

Two of my dad’s brothers and their wives came to visit and came to Laos with us.  We all crammed in a van while we were there and did some awesome sightseeing.  We got to take a lunch boat down a super cool, river, as well. 

One of my favorite spots in Laos is this way weird park full of bizarre ruins.  It has all kinds of weird broken down statues.  Nobody seems to know what they mean or anything, but they sure are cool to see.








8 comments:

Emi Sue said...

I wish you could see my face right now. It's pretty much green with envy!

Becky said...

Will you please bring me back a souvenir...nothing much, just something friendly, like an elephant. Maybe a baby one, because it would be easier to transport and then Caleb could ride it. Yes, one baby elephant please. The closest thing he has to Thailand right now is a Rainforest Jumperoo...

Valerie Plowman said...

Wow! That looks so fun. What a fun adventure.

Lindsay said...

I so freakin' miss you right now...

Travis and Celena said...

WOW a non stop adventure for you and your buddies! I am glad that you are having a good time. Love the pictures by the way. It is making me want to go on a trip out there.

BigDaddy said...

Awesome pictures! Makes me want to plan a trip to Thailand right now ;)

Katie_Stoker said...

I FOUND YOUR BLOG!!! Now I can see exactly what you and Whit are doing! FANTASTIC! You officially have a blog stalker whilst you are in a far off country with my sis! Tell her I love her!

Jennie said...

Okay that totally looks like a blast! I love seeing the pictures of your fam. I miss them so much. Give them all hugs for me. I too want a baby elephant. Do you think you could fit two in your luggage?