For the past few years my family has lived all over the world. Lindsay and her family have lived in North Carolina for... I don't even know how long. 5 years, maybe? My parents and Amber have lived in Thailand for three years. Brian lived in Illinois/Germany/Austria/Thailand for three years. Me? I've been in Utah. (Yes, I did go to Thailand for a bit, but I'm just talking majority here.) Sometimes being far apart has been no big deal, and sometimes it has been really tough. Last week was one of those weeks. Thank heavens Brian lives in Utah again. It would have been impossible without him. My amazing Grandma, Clara Dodge, passed away last week. She was 93 years old, and was one of the most remarkable people I've had the privilege of knowing.
I really wasn't planning on posting about it because I'm not a good writer, and could never do justice to what I want to say... but I keep thinking about her and how lucky I am to have had her in my life. I can only hope that someday I can be a bit more like her. The funeral on Monday went very well. It was very bitter-sweet to discuss and relive memories. My Grandparents have 8 kids (my dad being the youngest) so my extended family is quite large. There are something like 40 grand kids, and so far there are 59 great-grand kids (with 6 more coming in the near future). Although it was sad and hard to say good-bye to her, at least we have the knowledge that it isn't final. At least we know we can see her again.
She lived an amazing life. The gospel was always her number one priority and temple work was one of her passions. She has done more than 200 sessions in the temple each year for something like the last 20 years, and I'm sure right now she is simply carrying on the work she was doing in life... only in different ways.
Somehow the timing of this made the distance between my family feel a bit bigger. I'm grateful that the funeral was able to be broadcast on the internet so that my parents and sisters were able to see it. I wish I had the words to communicate how amazing my grandma was, but since I know that I don't... I'll just leave it at this-
I love you, Grandma, and thanks. Thanks for being such an amazing person and example. I'll miss you.
6 comments:
I'm so sorry, Michelle! But I'm so glad you wrote about her - she sounds like an incredible woman. I love that she did so much temple work. I choose to be like that. :) Sure love you!
What a great post. And, I really love that picture of you and Grandma at the end - you were just so adorable. :)
That was a very well-written tribute for someone who can't write well.
Hey Michelle! I loves that post! :) I agree with Dee, I want to be like your Grandma and do tons of temple work! That is amazing that she was able to do that, especially at her age! She sounds like a very amazing and wonderful woman. :) I love you!
I am so sorry for your family's loss. It must be so hard being so far away from almost everyone. I'm glad Brian was there with you. I'm thinking of you all.
You know, it's so interesting how things happen in life. Strange enough, I just had a baby about a week ago (like you sis, Lindsay), and then Sunday, Father's Day, my 90 year old grandpa passed away (like your grandmother). We had his funeral today. I just thought I would mention the interesting coincidence that is! So just know that in a small way I understand how you are feeling, sad but also grateful for the plan of salvation, and especially the knowledge of it in our lives! It's the best source of peace to know that our grandparents are on the other side continuing the work of the Lord!
Post a Comment