Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Baby steps... baby steps.

Alright, so a lot of you know that my parents come home in a month... and the rest of you? do now. The project at hand, therefore, is getting their home livable!

When my parents left they rented out their house, and we shoved EVERYTHING THEY OWN into three of the bedrooms in our house. Let me just tell you... dang. Those rooms... S.T.U.F.F.E.D. Our favorite way to explain it is this: ever played Tetris? Getting the furniture in those rooms was like the biggest real-life game of Tetris ever. Things were stacked to the ceiling. So. After the renters moved out... the next step was to get those rooms unpacked! Brian and I had a group of our guy friends (and Whit. :) ) come and help us get everything out. It was INSANE. It took us something like 7 hours to get everything out of the three rooms. That, however, was only the start!





One of the bedrooms (Lindsay's) had a little surprise for us. Ever heard of a little thing called "water damage"?? I have. Heard of it, I mean. And now- I get to DEAL with it! Wahoo!! Everything was going pretty well until I lifted a box on the floor, which resulted in both of my arms being COVERED in black mold. Yeah... that's probably gross. A year and a half ago the ceiling in my dad's office upstairs colapsed under the weight of the snow, and... NOW I'm thinking it MAY have affected the room beneath it, too. None of the walls or the ceiling show any damage, but the carpet through the ENTIRE room is full of mold. Unfortunately... there was furniture sitting on the carpet. Lots of furniture. There is mold growing up the legs/sides of several pieces of it. Tables, tvs, mattresses. Cool. That box I mentioned? It was a box of my high school things... and the stuff inside it was so gross! I had a few plaques in there, and they DOUBLED in thickness because there is so much mold inside the wood. Ugh. Good thing I've been graduated for a long time and just don't care about that stuff as much anymore.

Everyone left at about 8:30 pm, and then Brian and I realized that the moldy furniture had been taken around the house. Greaaaaaaat. So Brian and I went around and took all the moldy furniture that we could lift and put it BACK into the moldy room. The really big furniture got blankets put underneath them.

Here are some pics. I won't put them all up... I'll spare you that. :) It was hard to get good pics of it cause the mold wouldn't show up in the camera.









So now... we have to try and save the moldy stuff. (Not the mattresses. Those are gonners, man.) We've got to get someone in the house to rip the carpet out, and then check the insides of the walls.

Other than that, the house looks like a disaster zone! The furniture and boxes are no longer crammed into the three rooms, but distributed across the entire house! (It's actually progress... a TON of progress, but it sure looks like a step backwards!)


We went from this:







To THIS...






Good heavens. Still. Progress... I just have to keep telling myself that...

10 comments:

Becky said...

I have to say, I am impressed that you fit all that furniture into three bedrooms! And the whole mold thing just sounds like a lovely mess. Although, I have tons of stuff like high school memorabilia (and college and probably junior high) and most of it I should part with, but I'm kind of a pack rat, so it would probably take something like that to get me to part with it...
Um, good luck. I actually heard about all this fun stuff from Linds the other day, and I told Brady and we were driving and saw a company truck that said, "Complete Restoration: Fire, Flood, Mold" or something. Brady said, "Well, Michelle might need those people." We're thinking of you!

ED said...

Oh my gosh.... wow.. mold sucks!! You are brave for digging in and taking care of everything! If you need any help let me know.. i will pack up the kid and husband and we will take a mini road trip to help out! Good Luck and honestly call us! We are game to help in any way!

Rachel said...

Wow! What a huge project - and how frustrating about the mold! Please let me know if/how we can help! Good luck getting it all taken care of!

Emily said...

Even grandma's "hole" table with mold!! (I totally got a kick out of seeing that table again :)) If you guys need any help, let me know! I happen to know a lovely gal who loves to clean so much, that when she would visit her cousins in Midway, she would VOLUNTEER to clean her cousins messy room. :)

Anna Wilson said...

I totally feel for you. We had a pipe break and flood Kate's room downstairs...anyway, I think we have mold in the carpet....what a mess. Well, if you need a break come over to Heber, I'm here all the time, we can have ice cream or something.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lot of work I would get really frustrated with. glad its you and not me. Just kidding. Hope everything works out.

Jennie said...

That is NUTS!! First that your parent's entire house fit into 3 bedrooms and 2nd MOLD!! Yuck, yuck, yuck! Be careful around that stuff it's not good for you. Good luck on getting things back in some order. I don't envy you there. If you need some help give me a call. I would love to do something to help your parents after all they've done for me. Linds has my number. Good Luck!

Jennie said...

Hey, I just had an idea. Lindsay could come out and re-finish all of the furniture that was damaged like she did to your family's old table. If the table took her a couple of months all that furniture should only take a year.

Tammy said...

Wow. That is really nice of you to do all this for your parents. The mold is disgusting. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I found it today.

Gunda Lee said...

I just looked at these pics again...I saw them a few days ago and didn't have time to write. As I look again, I can't BELIEVE what you and brian are doing. How can I ever thank you for this.....? I love you...