Monday, March 21, 2011

Daylight Confusion


Okay.

Does everyone in this country get EXACTLY the same amount of sleep every night? Me- I don't get any sort of consistent amount of sleep. Okay, so lets imagine for a moment here. Let's imagine that I'm in the minority, and that most people get anywhere between 8 and 8.1 hours of sleep a night. Enter the villain: Daylight Savings Time. (Duh, duh duuuuuuuuh.) Suddenly the whole country gets anywhere between 7 and 7.1 hours of sleep that night. Mass chaos. Suddenly the comments are heard around the world:

"I'm so mad about losing an hour of sleep!"
"I'm so tired... I haven't been able to shake this daylight savings thing."
"Wow... this week has been so hard. I never really caught up on my sleep after Daylight Savings."

Okay, okay. I don't understand. Do people out there really notice a difference when they lose an hour of sleep for one night? On average I'd say I get anywhere between 4 - 6.5 hours of sleep a night. Say on Daylight night I happen to get 4 because of the change... it's still not so different for me.

It's one hour. One. Yes- last weekend I was a little disappointed when I looked at my clock and suddenly it was 3:28 instead of the expected 2:28. That was a sad moment. However. I think that moment was about my only moment of noticing the change. Granted- I'm daaaaaaang tired at the moment but I think my 3 hrs of sleep/night for the past 2 weeks has more to do with it than Daylight. Maybe. Probably. Maybe.

The only change I notice is the darkness in the morning vs light in the evening. Oh, and my clock being an hour off for 3 months following the change. That's it, though. Am I the only one who doesn't get it? Perhaps I am. I'm willing to accept that. (Not really. But I'd sound stuck up if I didn't pretend.)

Does Daylight Savings throw your day(s) off??

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I love Daylight Savings Time, and I think people get a little too worked up about it. I do have a little trouble getting up for a few days after the change, but then I get the joy of sleeping in a little longer for a few days when the clock switches back. Mostly, I just love being able to have usable light late into the evening so I can work and play outdoors. If anything, I'd be happy if they did away with regular time, and stayed on Daylight Savings Time all year long.

Brian said...

Daylight savings? Yeah not so much. Actually, since pretty much every clock I own changes automatically, I wouldn't even know it happened if not for my computer telling me it changed the clock automatically. Nope, doesn't throw my day off at all. Now that Jet-lag flying from Vegas... that is an entirely different story.

Jennie said...

I must have a strong internal clock, and I love my sleep because it totally throws me off. Plus, with small children it's a nightmare to do the spring forward. My daughter has a hard time getting up and an even worse time going to sleep. The fall one is easy because we just keep them up later than usual. I wouldn't feel so strongly about it if I didn't have kids.

DeeAura said...

Oh rats. Well, it totally throws me off for a good week. But maybe it's just a mental thing, and I'm really just ticked off at the universe for stealing an hour from me that...really...it gives back later, so what exactly IS my problem? :)

But let's be honest. I just love my sleep, so when an hour gets taken from me I feel really really angry.

Clearly there are bigger things to worry about. Ahem. :)

Gunda Lee said...

Daylight savings time? Did it change?

Lindsay said...

Ha! You are too funny - when you put it that way, you're right. There are plenty of days when I get an hour less of sleep than usual...maybe it's just that Daylight savings time just gives me something other than myself to blame. :) And, I agree with Jennie - my kids actually do get the exact same amount of sleep almost every night, and an hour stolen from them wrecks havoc for the whole family!

Liz Szilagyi said...

I don't mind losing an hour of sleep. I'm a span of 5-9 hours a night, so anywhere between that is fine. I agree with Jennie though, with kids it's not so fun. I wanted to move Reid's bedtime up an hour so I could go to the gym after he's down . . . I had it all planned out. I'd drop a nap and everything would be set. Enters DST, the EXACT same week, who knew it was coming? I'm stubborn though. So in the end I moved his bedtime up a whole 2 hours and somehow he's still taking 4 naps. I can't figure it out. I think I prefer my natural light in the morning though. I just like that DST makes me think Summer is here, even if there's still a foot of snow out my window.