Whit decided to make some soup. Canned soup. Meaning… from a can. Sound hard? Yeah… I didn’t think so either. I was standing in the kitchen with her, and suddenly there was this nasty smell. I turned around to see thick black smoke coming from the stovetop. Why, you may ask? Because Whitey turned on the wrong burner. Yep… the one with tupperware sitting on it!! Now, you should probably all be aware that I’m REALLY good at handling emergency situations. I keep a cool head and act quickly… which is really lucky because if I hadn’t been there, Whitney wouldn’t have had anyone there, jumping up and down in place, pointing, and yelling, “Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah! Get it, get it, get it!” At great risk to her own hand, she pulled the orange plastic from the burner. We were then faced with a problem. Our landlord’s church got out at 12:00 and she told us she was coming over right after. What time was it? 12:30. Our apartment was smoky and smelled HORRIBLE! We didn’t want her to come over and fear for the safety of her house.
Now lets back up a bit. Why was our landlord coming over? Ha. Whitney and I decided Saturday night that we would drive to Salt Lake Sunday morning and go to Music and the Spoken Word. So we awoke faaaaar too early in the morning to get ready to leave. We were close to being ready when Whitney made a tragic mistake. She turned on the water in the bathroom to brush her teeth. I know… what was she thinking, right?? I hear an, “Uh oh,” and turned around to see the water running full strength from the faucet. She was turning the handle to the faucet back and forth, but it had no effect on the water stream. It wouldn’t turn off. That, in and of itself, would have been funny, but lets add another layer. Our sink drain was plugged and would only drain really, reeeeeaaaalllllly slowly. The sink was filling quite quickly and we couldn’t get the water off! I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a bowl, darted back to the bathroom and started bailing the water into the shower. We grabbed a few things (ya know… scissors, knifes) to substitute for a screwdriver, since we didn’t have one, and tried to take the handle off of the faucet. What did we manage to do? Strip the head of the screw, making sure that there was NO POSSIBLE WAY we were getting that handle off. Well, great. Meanwhile, we’re still bailing water. Finally we realized we were going to have to call someone. It was about 7 in the morning, and we felt bad calling, but knew we had no choice. We called our friend, Brigham, and he didn’t know what to do, so we decided we’d have to call our landlord. Unfortunately, she didn’t know either! Brigham figured out how to turn off the water to our sink and called us back. Our landlord said she’d come over after church to see the sink and figure out what to do about it. After we turned off the water, we jetted out the door and made it just in time for Music and the Spoken Word.
So, back to 12:30 with our smoky apartment. We ran to open the windows, only to learn something interesting. They don’t open! Or rather… they haven’t been opened in so long that it would probably take some serious convincing to get them to do so. There is NO circulation in our little basement apartment, and we couldn’t think of any way to get the smell to leave. Thank heavens she didn’t end up coming over for quite a few hours. Yikes.
I tried to upload a couple of pictures to go with this story, but yep... still can't seem to do it. :S
7 comments:
HAHHAHAH!!! I love Michelle's life.... :)
I wish that I could be a fly on the wall of your apartment. Maybe someday I'll get to live with you and then I realize how awesome you actually are. DeeAura said if I only really knew you I would build a shrine to you. This story is making me seriously consider doing it. Really. :)
All the adventures makes me want to be a roommate! :0) Yeah my husband did the same thing with turning on the wrong burner and burnt our pan and the plastic spoon that was in it.
I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about this post. It just simply sounds like a normal 'day in the life' for Michelle. Well, at least where kitchens are involved.
Hummmmm, reminds me of her sister nearly burning down Deseret Towers and causing a nation-wide blackout......truly, an electronically gifted family.
Hey, watch it mom. There will be no bashing ME on Michelle's blog! :) Yes, it's true - we really are a gifted family...but at least we know where it comes from - our dear mother trying to fit her drink into the kitchen television to warm it up. We really did have such wonderful examples growing up.
PS - and just so you know, it was only a blackout on my floor - not nationwide. :)
Sounds like you had an interesting time. I still remember when I almost caught Tarah's hair on fire with rice a roni. Long story. But it was funny.
Post a Comment