
Wow. What a lame post to leave up for over a month. I have been so dang busy, I haven't had time to do ANYTHING- including blog.
Why have I been so busy? Because- for those of you who don't actually know- I got a job!
I teach middle school. Yup. That's the truth. I work at a MIDDLE SCHOOL. It has been quite a roller coaster. That is for dang sure. I teach both choir and theatre. So there you go... all those years in college absolutely STRESSING over whether I should graduate in choral education or theatre education... very worthwhile. Glad I invested so many hours and tears into making that decision. Story of my life!!
I was offered the job ONE WEEK before school started. ONE WEEK!!! For those of you that don't know tons about the teaching profession- that's definitely not the preferred method. FYI. Not only was it only one week (okay... it was really like one week and two days), but I was also in North Carolina visiting my sister when I got the phone call! (Yeah- haven't blogged about that one, either. I had so much dang fun. Her kids are the cutest kids in the world... and no... that couldn't possibly be a biased opinion. Hopefully I'll be able to blog about that sometime soon. I make no promises.) I got back to Utah late on Monday the 17th of August and school started the following Monday. Tuesday I went and saw my classroom for the first time- stayed for about an hour, took a tour of the school (it's a brand new building. It's really gorgeous.) and had no idea what I really needed to do. The whole rest of the week I had meetings. I had a little time in my room on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. My brother Brian came one day (I think it was... Friday, maybe?) and helped me alphabetize my choral library for HOURS. I've probably spent about 25 hours organizing that music and I'm STILL not done. Brian was a life saver. Anyway. So in all that time I had very little time to do anything like, oh I don't know... write lesson plans! So I've been pretty much taking things one day at a time.
We've been in school for 4 weeks now. Midterms are next week and I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Every day goes by so slowly... I never thought we'd hit midterms. :) So, how is it going, you might want to know? (If you don't want to know, then just humor me.) It's hard. I won't lie. It's really hard. I work ALL. THE. TIME. All the time. I usually leave for work between 6:30 and 7:00 in the morning and I stay at school until somewhere between 6-8. Then I get home and grade papers for a few hours. Everyday. Then I go to bed at about midnight, get up at 5:30ish and start again. I thought weekends would give me a little sanity, but here is how all three of my weekends have gone: Saturday I get to sleep in- which means I usually week up at about 8:00... yeah... sleeping in has reeeeeally changed. :) I start grading papers/writing lesson plans at about 9:00- and I finish at about midnight. Then I go to bed, get up on Sunday- go to church- come home and grade papers/write lesson plans until about midnight. I REEEEEEAAAALLY wish I was exaggerating. I'm not! Not even a little! Some nights I'm even up until about 2:00. Man. Today (Saturday) I quit working at about 10:00. I've got a nasty cold and decided I had had enough with the working.
Ya know- it's funny. Brian pointed out to me that I can know I've entered a new time in my life when I'm actually GRATEFUL that I'm sick over the weekend instead of during the week. :)
Anyway- I did my student teaching in a high school and I have been SHOCKED at the differences between high schoolers and middle schoolers. I can't believe how much younger they are. I didn't expect the difference to be as drastic as it acutally is. I've definitely got bundles of funny stories already. That will have to be a post for another day, though.
Since I've got so much free time- I decided I needed more on my plate. So- I'll be moving soon! Right now I'm living at my parents' house, and a lot of the week I stay at my aunt and uncle- Art and Katherine's house. They live in Sandy. So everyday I commute either half an hour or an hour each way. But two of my high school friends, Francine and Julena, and I are moving to Salt Lake in a couple of weeks. The house we're going to rent is pretty close to my school- I'm excited about that.
Wow- this is a really boring post. I would go back and make it more interesting... but I don't want to. I hope it makes sense and doesn't sound too much like I'm hopped up on cold medicine! Congratulations if you made it all the way through it. :)
15 comments:
Of course I made it all the way through! I've been waiting for these details for a while now. And you are right, I've only ever taught at HS as well, and WOW Middle Schoolers are so different. I think the word of choice is NEED-Y!!! Their questions (ridiculous and otherwise) never seem to end. Eventually, the piles of paper get easier to handle (ie, you just stop grading half of them).
That's awesome that you get to teach both theater and music. I think you'd be great with them! I can only imagine how needy and interesting those kids would be. I remember my middle school years were deffinately that. Good luck on getting things under control! Don't forget to have fun somewhere in there. It's too bad you don't have aides like we were in high school. I remember organizing all the music for Miss. B.
Congrats on the great job! You definitely earned it. And I hear it gets easier... the first year teaching is the hardest b/c you have to create the lesson plans. But then you just learn to adapt them. I'm so proud of you... you'll have fun, and I bet those kids love you.
I bet you're pretty much the coolest teacher at that school. Seriously. I'm so happy for you and have total faith that you will be successful! Take luck!
Holy Cow! Look at you go! That is so awesome that ... well, you are a "real person" (just for your information, I'm not one yet..I'm living vicariously through Dan on that one). Moving in with those two will be a lot of fun too. Oooo, Francince and choreograph anything you do for the theater, and Julena can add a bit of humor (dry or otherwise) to anything you do!
Congrats on having a job (not easy to do in this economy!) Sorry it's so incredibly busy, but yes, way to be a real person (as if you weren't "real" before, but you know....) I'm sure you are a great teacher! Come visit me sometime (you know, when you have time....I'll be patient....)
Gee- stop working so hard! I did my student teaching in a middle school- and they are so funny!! I can't wait to hear all your stories!
Congratulations on the job! Good luck catching up with everything - I'm sure you are a great teacher, and can't wait to hear all your awesome stories!
That's it. I'm quitting my job and coming to your middle school. :) bahhahaha - Congrats on the job!!! Hopefully, a routine will set in come the next year or so.... :)
My idea: stop handing out papers for them to complete. Then you won't have to grade them, AND you'll be the most beloved teacher ever! You're welcome for solving your life problems.
Michelle! I saw on Facebook that you got the job... a week before... and assumed it'd be chaotic! Sounds like you're doing well. But, I agree with Liz... you don't need to grade everything they write. Give me a call sometime and we can talk papers and grading :)... I may or may not of had some experience with that! Love yur guts... let me know if you need help moving... I could maybe come down, take a day off of school and the like. :)
Michelle, I'm glad you blog stalked me so that I could do the same back. Congrats on the job. Now that I know you are in Salt Lake, I plan on pestering you into attending some of Eric's Infamous parties. Right now as I continue to attend school, teaching choir and theatre sound really fun. But just the teaching part not any other part (papers, grading, etc.) Though I am currently serving as the choir director in my religious organization, I've never done it before but I'm excited. Anyways congrats and it's great to hear(read) from you.
signed-Billy
Wow, Michelle! Good for you! I guess.. You're like all grown up now and with a real job and everything.. I'm sure things will get better for you.. hopefully, at least.. ;)
Michelle -
There is not enough cursing or vulgarity in this post. Haven't you picked up anything from your students? How is Gunda? She is one of my very favorite people. Plan on Gluttonfest this year. And the pig roast next year.
From your best friend Eric.
I'm going to buy you a lifetime supply of Starbucks Coffee. I know you don't drink coffee. Neither do I. But baby, I think you may need it. ;) Just kidding. Sort of. You need it, but I won't buy it for you! It sounds like your life is craziness! But next year you'll have all your lessons planned... ish... right? And then it will be less stressful??? Eh??? Maybe someday when you have breathing time we should play. I'll come to Salt Lake. With Dee. To see you. And to get sushi. Are you down? Say you're down. Love you! xoxo
Post a Comment