Monday, October 12, 2009

School should be left to the daytime...

The bad news? The job isn't really getting any easier. Really? 13 year olds are just... 13 years old. The good news? I haven't had a school nightmare in a while! Yes- I do have school nightmares often. See- the really tricky thing is that I sleepwalk, so you combine sleepwalking with my obnoxious school nightmares and I've ended up with at least a little humor in my life. :)




Example 1- I was having this bad dream that I needed to teach something out of a textbook- but of course I couldn't find the right textbook. I was FREAKING out and seriously panicked, and I was looking EVERYWHERE and digging and looking, and finally I found it. THEN, in my dream, I realized that I didn't have enough of the textbooks for everyone in my class, so I started looking for MORE of them. Anyway. Just one of those obnoxious panicky sort of dreams. So I woke up, and found that I was holding a textbook, and had another one sitting next to me. No... no I don't keep these books right next to my bed. They were on the other side of the room. And no... no they weren't even on the TOP of the pile they were in. They were in the middle. So I guess, in my sleep, I had walked over and dug through my books and somehow had chosen those ones to take back with me. Sure. :)

Example 2- I fell asleep while writing lesson plans one night, and in my dream I was still writing one. I don't remember exactly what the dream was about, but for some reason I figured that I needed to be somewhere else to write them. I woke up when my computer hit the ground. Yes... yes. I FREAKING DROPPED MY COMPUTER IN MY SLEEP! This poor computer has been dropped so many times and it's never my fault! (I guess that is up for debate- I DID drop it... but I was asleep at the time... so...??) I decided I needed to move somewhere else, I picked up my computer, walked across the room, and dropped it. Love it.

Example 3- I was dreaming that I was correcting papers (which really- I do ALL THE FREAKING TIME so that wasn't much of a stretch) and I guess I had some never-ending pile that was giving me major stress because of some unnameable deadline. You know. Anyway. I woke up, and I was "correcting" the back of the package of my new razor. I don't know where I put that before I went to bed, but somehow I had found it and I was holding it in my left hand and in my right hand I was holding an imaginary pencil... and I was circling things. I actually laughed out loud after I woke up to THAT one. :)

BUT the good news is that I haven't had one of these dreams in almost two weeks! My subconscious is either learning to deal with this better... or it's at least hiding it from... me... better. Either way. :)

10 comments:

Jennie said...

That makes me laugh. I had dreams like that about work ALL the time. Way back in the day when I worked fast food I had a dream that the chicken nuggets I'd just put in the oil were screaming and trying to jump out. Even after I quit work at the craft store I worked at for almost 6 years I was having dreams that I wasn't doing the purchases right. Gotta love that stupid subconsious of ours!

DeeAura said...

Dear Michelle,
At first I was afraid. I was petrified. Then I started laughing. Really hard. And then you dropped your computer. AND THEN you graded your phone box. ooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! hahah. The best part is, I can just see you doing all of it. You make me happy. Never never never ever ever never never change. Thank you. From the bottom of my soul.
Love,Dee

Lindsay said...

Too funny! I still don't understand how I can have such odd siblings...

Tarah said...

Wow, if I knew how much trouble and stress it was to be a teacher of a 13 yr old I might have been a little nicer to mine! Well...maybe not seeing as I would have been 13, but you know...good thoughts for now. Good luck. I'm glad the dreams are hiding better from you!

Emi Sue said...

I totally am understanding this sleep walking business. I was having all sorts of nursing nightmares when I started. Thank goodness those days are over. Luckily i don't keep needles in my house otherwise i may have had a similar experience. Lovin on the razor story. LOVIN on that one!

Amanda said...

This is quite possibly my favorite post of your entire blog! HA ha hahahahahahahaha! I just love that you graded a razor package in your sleep! Hopefully these dreams stay far, far away from now on :) Who knows what else you might do?!

Sharli said...

OH MY! Your teaching stories sound OH SO FAMILIAR! The planning and correcting NEVER ENDS! I feel you babe. After a while I just started giving credit for handing the assignment in! :) I had to or I was going to go insane! I love ya. Keep up the good work! I'm sure you are an amazing teacher! It gets easier... hang in there. (Hilarious dreams by the way!!!)

Gunda Lee said...

What I'm wondering is this.....did the razor package fail?

Aubrey said...

How did I not know that you sleep walk?!?! HAHAHA. This is excellent. :)

whitney said...

Man I wish we were still room-mates! Why couldn't you do that when we lived together?!! :)