Remember that one time that I became a theatre/choir teacher? Yeah. That time. Well, remember how choirs have concerts? Yeah. Those. Talk about a stressful event! My school's 2009-2010 Show Choir had their first concert a couple of weeks ago.
That's right- my very first choir concert. :) Turns out they are... kind of hard to put together. Who knew?? I think I'd like to go back to having someone else doing all of the hard work, and just showing up to sing. :) I was seriously freaking out. We NEVER had a rehearsal that went well. I think I was just hoping that nobody would show up to see it. Unfortunately THAT didn't happen.
The GOOD news, however, is that it actually ended up going really well. They actually remembered almost everything! It was quite a nerve-wracking evening. My parents and brother came a few hours early to help me get everything set and ready. I seriously owe them big time.
Here are a few pictures of us rehearsing before the audience got there. Only... I can't show you their faces, so yes they are blurred out. It's not just that they are ugly. At least not all of them.
This is my show choir!
Yeah... did someone say 120 students in the SHOW CHOIR??
Some of the girls in the girls' number:
The hellions- oh... how did that get... no, I meant the boys-
The hot choir director-
I have to say I was quite relieved to have the concert over with. Yesterday we did the concert for the school as an assembly in the middle of the day. It went... NOT good. Really, they still sounded decent (except in those two weeks they managed to forget most of the harmonies- making everything unison...) but their behavior was just... rough. And getting the assembly and the mics and the lights and the props and the music stands and the piano and the... on and on and on... all set up BY MYSELF in only 30 MINUTES right before the assembly left me ANYTHING but calm. I was sort of a basket case. That assembly was almost the death of me I think! But- I got through the show and finished the rest of my classes and the day was finally over. THEN my mom called. Yeah. I lost it. Yay for a mom that lets you bawl on the phone to her. :) Two of the teachers at the school told me they thought it was even better than the night concert, though! So, I don't know. :) I think I STARTED that assemly so frustrated that I may not be a fair judge!
This job never slows down, though, and now I'm just panicking about the Winter concert! Ah, Christmas... here we go...
Oh a happy note, the choir's uniforms finally came in the mail yesterday! So they will just look so darn cute for their Christmas concert. Yes my friends... bow ties and all. :)
9 comments:
I remember having to help put up the shell, the risers, fold programs ect. to help our directors get ready for the concerts. I can't imagine being the one in charge of all that. Thank goodness for great family huh! I love the pictures of you directing and of your family. So great! It really made me wish I was in choir again and sometimes that I'd been able to do the choir director thing too. Good luck with the Christmas concert!
I seriously don't know how you do it all, but you ALWAYS do. I mean it, kiddo. You're pretty darn amazing and you shouldn't forget about it. :)
That is one hot choir director! Awesome job. Crazy that there are 120kids...middle school kids...I don't know how you manage it, but you did! Awesome.
Are you kidding me?!? That is a HUGE choir! I am seriously so amazed that you teach them all! You go girl :) I'm glad the concert went well. Those kids are so so lucky to have such an awesome teacher!
Hey! I found your blog through Cami's. What the crazy heck! I went to Clayton Middle School and was in the show choir. Mrs. Warner was my teacher. That's awesome! I didn't know you taught there. The holiday concert is the best! Good luck!
Michelle,
Way to go... Though I notice you forgot your shoes? Also in an effort to become more like you I direct the choir in our ward... Not as hard as what you are doing, nor as successful, but much more difficult than I ever anticipated. I struggle trying to sing the alto part while playing the top hand and trying to listen to all the parts at the same time. Any suggestions from a professional like yourself?
OK, the concert didn't just go well, it was AWESOME! Don't ever forget how proud Dad and I are of you....we even felt that way BEFORE the show! Keep up the good work and remember that you have a loyal cheering crew up here in Midway!
Sister friend, what the junk. You need to call me. I need to be helping you set up and crap. Plus I would love to come see one of your concerts. Sorry I have been so self-absorbed lately. I really do think and worry about you a lot. I love your face. Seriously, keep me updated. That's what texting is for!
Hey, I saw Sister Graves in my sisters ward today and she said that you were "wonderful" and to say HI! She's cute.
Post a Comment