Friday, February 4, 2011

Like sand through the hourglass... so are the days of our lives.


(First I thought that title was kind of funny. Then I wondered why I even know that it's from Days of Our Lives. I have no answer.)



One of my friends did a "decade in review" kind of a post, and it got me thinking. A lot. And after thinking a lot I decided that I might do one, as well. Now, I'm not normally the oh-it's-January,-time-to-make-goals-and-analyze-the-last-year kind of a person. I admire those people, but can't consider myself among them. My attention span is too short. This is very unusual for me, but I'm going to give it a go, anyway!

(I know, I know. Some of you are rolling your eyes, wishing that everyone would just agree that the decade resets on even years like 2010 instead of 2011. Others may be scratching their heads due to the fact that it is now February and no matter what year you think the new decade begins, the DAY and MONTH is generally accepted as being January 1st. I will address these concerns. #1- I say the decade resets whenever I most need it to reset in order to best convenience me. #2- See number one.)

How can a decade be so freaking long, and so freaking short all at the same time?! 2001 - 2011. Well... to wrap it all up in a nice little bow (preferably one with thick stripes and curled edges) I just got the invite to my 10 year high school reunion. Yup. Ten years out of high school.

Going year by year would bore us all, since I've had some fairly dry spells as far as "interest" goes, but I just want to reminisce a bit. Sorry I don't have any relevant pictures. I'd have to scan the older ones, and like that is going to happen!

Obviously, graduating from high school took me to the next phase of my life- college. Good ol' USU times.



First off, lets talk about the roommies. In talking to friends, I've discovered that I've had an extensive amount of roommates. I always sort of thought that everyone had this many, but it doesn't seem to be true. I like my roommate list being fairly lengthy. Leaves me with plenty of stories. :) I can't tell you how many I have had. Not because it is some giant secret, but because I can't remember them all! Sorry to any who may be reading... of course I remember YOU. I've had almost 60 roommates. I actually tried to make a list of them all because I wanted to get a real number, but it just wasn't doable. Some I can remember faces, some I can just remember that there was a body in the room upstairs. MANY of them, however, are friends that I hope to keep forever. My roommates have ranged from sane and normal to... anything BUT. I have some hilarious roommate stories. I mean... come on. SIXTY. Think they've all been nice and sane? Heh. Hardly. (Any roommates who may be reading- of course I'm not talking about YOU.)

Choosing a major was dang hard for me and that decision added a bit of time to the college career. No, it didn't take me the full 10 years to get my degree. Come on. It only took me most of them. :D I suppose that is what I get for switching between so dang many majors. And then switching back and forth and BACK and FORTH between a couple. The good (and surprising) fact, however, is that I finally made it.


I also got my first "real" job. Yeah... still fighting with that one. Honestly, this job is such a huge blessing. It's the best job I could ask for at this point in my life. Except... I really have no desire to talk about it right now cause it's all I ever talk about. Geesh. The important fact is that despite my constant string of complaints... I do know how lucky I am to be where I am. I've learned invaluable things in this last year and a half. Both about my career and about myself.

Another thing I've accomplished is having watched a great amount of television. I'm so proud. Moving on.

I've really had some amazing opportunities since high school. I want to list a few, due to the fact that I want to start documenting these events in detail, but need to start by simply writing them down.

My friend, Sue, and I moved to Hawaii for one summer just because we wanted to. I went back and forth between Utah and Thailand for the three years my family was there and ended up staying for quite a while. I spent three summers performing at Pickleville Playhouse up at Bear Lake. I spent one summer performing church history musicals through a service mission to Nauvoo, Illinois. I performed a few shows through the Theatre Department at USU. I sang with the Chorale choir at USU for three years. I sang with the New Horizons/Latter Day Voices choir at the institute for *cough5* years. I was able to go on 4 fantastic tours with the same choir. I have sung with the Sun Valley carolers for the past three seasons. Ummm... those are the ones I can think of right now.

I have made some fantastic friends through all these adventures. I also have come to understand how amazing my family is. I've always loved them, but I think getting older has given me an opportunity to see just how incredible they are, both as individuals, and as a whole.

Yyyyyyyep. So, re-reading this, I've realized it's a bit wordy and boring. Two things that should never come together in a post. HOWEVER. This post is more for me than anything else. I've loved thinking about this last decade and have really found some events and situations that I want to document in greater detail. Now I'm excited to go back and do that!

If you have read this post and actually made it to the end then I'll give you a candy bar. No, really. I mean it. Only... you have to come and get it. Because I'm lazy. And want visitors.



See? I even found a picture. I'm committed.


10 comments:

the browns said...

I know you weren't talking about me and the good old Bridgerland days of Randi, Jen, you and I... right? We were all sane and had a great time. My name is CAMI. Please say you remember me??!

Katherine said...

I love this post! Please forgive me if I decide to follow in you and your friend's footsteps. I'm excited to be moving to SLC. Just waiting for my house to sell. I'm hoping to get to know you better when we get there. And as far as your last post goes, Too many "me"s... whichever one you are I have always thought you were beautiful, sincere, loyal, energetic... and more than anything - funny! I love you...
-from a cousin who has missed most of that past decade

Jennie said...

Wow! You really have done a lot in 10 years. It's really wierd when you get that high school renunion invitation isn't it? I think you've done and are still doing some amazing things. Are you going to do the Pickleville again this year? I would love to come see you if you do. We've talked about going to Bear Lake this summer.

Lindsay said...

Why don't we live closer to each other? Will you please move out here so we can spend your next decade together?

Nicole Anderson said...

LOVED this!

Tarah said...

You mean long and boring doesn't equal a good blog post? Shoot...don't read my blog...every post is like that.
Ya...ten years out of high school...are you going to the reunion? I'd like to, but I can't commit to it.
Thanks for the decade update.

Christy said...

I loved this post! Now I think I have to copy it! You were much more concise and I think a bit LESS wordy than I will be in mine! :) And lucky for me, I was never your roommate, so I don't count. Or maybe I was unlucky... :) You always did have great adventures!! I learned a lot from this post, so thanks for sharing!! :) I hope you are doing well!!!

Liz Szilagyi said...

You are freaking hilarious! I can't even count how many times I laughed out loud. I sure wish I could come get that candy bar . . . I want to come visit!

Emi Sue said...

I love chocolate!...and pretty much any other form of refined sugar! Its too bad we miss our 10 year reunion cuz we'll be in florida. I hate it when that happens! (Actually I have no idea when the reunion is, but if I did I'm pretty sure I would still be in Florida!) I love you babe!

Amanda said...

Yep, I read the whole thing! I SO wish I could come get a candy bar from you :) You really have accomplished a lot in the last 10 years. Way to go! I know we never officially lived together, but can I be counted in your list of roomies, since I was at that apartment so much? Preferrably on the "cool" list? Ha ha! You're amazing :) Don't change.