Ready for some amazing news? All of my technology has ganged up against me. Let me introduce you to my technological things.
First: my camera.
A Nikon Coolpix something or other. Purchased in 2005. Notice anything wrong with it? Let me help you out. The battery door is held together with duct tape! Lucky for me, my awesome roommate Jenny gave me colored duct tape once upon a time, but still. The duct tape resulted from it being dropped on the ground early in 2006 during one rockin' spring break trip. It hasn't really given me anymore problems... until now. About 6 months ago, it made a decision. No more pictures outdoors. Oh. Okay. Not like anyone ever needs to take pictures OUTSIDE!! Anything taken outdoors just turns out super washed out and really ugly. Great.
Second: my phone.
A Samsung never-made-to-last-more-than-a-few-months. Purchased in 2007. Really... I mean 'purchased' in the loosest of terms because it was the free phone that came with the plan. This is actually my second one. The first one was dropped into the ocean in March of 2007 on... you guessed it... spring break. The cons of this phone? Well... it was the FREE PHONE THAT CAME WITH MY PHONE PLAN IN 2007! What I mean by that... is that it works really well. It's cute trick is that it likes to reset itself all of the time. Sometimes I hear it resetting itself in the other room, but it's favorite time? Whenever I'm texting. Neat. The other day I was in the middle of a text when it decided to reset itself, and somehow, it managed to take all the texts I had gotten in the previous 2 days, and delete them in the process. Impressive.
Third: my computer.
A cute Macbook. Purchased in 2007. I love this computer! Except. Except for it's... new friendship with my phone. My computer worked perfectly, until... you guessed it. It was dropped. This sad event happened when I was sprinting through the airport trying to catch a layover after visiting my sister in NC in 2008. My trustworthy backpack broke open and dumped it onto the hard airport floor! Here are a couple of pictures of the damage.
Here is the corner where it landed. That part can't shut, and some... mechanics... inside are bent up, too.
There are three of these chips, but I thought one picture would suffice. Two of them (this one included) are along the bottom, below the keyboard, and one is up above the screen.
Since that... it has developed a few new habits. Mostly it just makes funny noises occasionally. I decided not to get it fixed because I found out how much it would cost. Ouch. It's a just-get-a-new-one sort of a cost. Every so often it finds new noises to make, and always surprises me. I can handle weird noises. That's okay. Chirp, whirr, gaffffunk, crank, and sigh all you want. It's all been manageable, until this last Wednesday night. Somehow my phone managed to teach my computer that cute little resetting trick. Now, it does it all the time. Wednesday night it reset itself 4 times in the hour I was trying to use it. Lucky for me, it's only done it once while I've been writing this post. Wonderful. It's so cute when electronics work together.
So now what? I can't buy new stuff right now, but as you can see... it's sort of time!! Maybe I'll just find an Amish community and join them. They don't have these problems.

6 comments:
I'm sorry for your tech loss. It sounds like 2007 was a bad year for electronics in your world. Good luck on trying to figure out what to do. To bad it's not closer to your birthday, they would make some nice gifts. (Hint hint to anyone looking for a present to give Michelle.)
I know what would help you out in the future... Not dropping things. :0) Actually I really think they are ganging up on you so be careful. Technology will one day take over the world!! Just kidding! Ok so I am a little lame but I hope everything works out for you in the end.
So, have you ever thought about this from the electronics perspective? Notice that there is a common theme here... Maybe they all got together and figured out that they had all been victims of recklessness and decided that you should be treated recklessly as well. Just sayin'...
Ha! I had that phone once upon a time and it did the same thing to me! a.n.n.o.y.i.n.g. So what did I do? I got the free upgrade qwerty phone after dealing with the resetting for 3 years :) But maybe you should join the Amish. I once saw an awesome movie about them that involved fire....
HA!! I've decided that when we bought our macs was the worst time of all times to buy them. We bought the plastic-y ones that chip and break. Why didn't I wait one more month and buy a metal one? huh? Oh, that's because I thought Mac knew what they were doing. Mine chips on the front too, but mine does it because of the stupid thing at the top of the screen making "impressions" on it when it's shut. Brilliant, Mac. Uh...and I...uh...does it mean anything that I was there on ALL those spring break trips??? :)
Also, I would like to echo Manda's comment. Harvest of Fire would really like to become part of your world. :)
Post a Comment